Devin Bush, Linebacker, Michigan
Conference: Big 10
Measurables: 5'11, 233 lbs
2016: 11 tackles
2017: 95 tackles, 10 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 1 INT, 7 PBU
2018: 66 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 5 PBU
40 yard dash: 4.43
Bench: 21 reps
Vertical jump: 40.5 inch
Broad jump: 124 inch
3 cone: 6.93
40 yard shuttle: 4.23
- Run fit: Flows very well to the ball. Stays "ass-side" of the ball carrier consistently, keeping his inside responsibility. Elite tracking, runs very naturally and changes between shuffle to gain ground and straight line run to keep up with the BC. Has very good sideline-sideline ability with elite athleticism and fluid movement.
- Tackling: Rarely misses a tackle. Makes big hits when it makes sense (at point of catch, narrow gaps, closed spaces) and breaks down when needed (outside runs, blitz, open field tackle).
- Blitzing: Elite speed to blitz from edges and inside tackles from a 10 tech. Shows edge-defender-esque ability to bend around tackles. Finds gaps to blitz through naturally. Unlike other LB blitzing he breaks down and takes very good angles so the QB doesn't get away.
- Pass coverage: Reads plays well which allows him to drop back quickly. Gets eyes on the receivers well and identifies routes. Jumps on crossers fast but also posses speed to take away skinny posts from slow WRs too. In man on TEs he consistently makes the tackle at point of catch for small gains.
- Effort: Sometimes you see a fast guy display lack of effort, which sucks, as you know they have the speed to chase down a play. Well, Devin Bush had me drooling over his effort. He will give everything on any play.
- Man-to-man on RBs: Takes very sharp angles on RB swings, which puts him in great positions for tackles. However, several times gets caught in bad positions when the RB continues on a wheel route, which he has been burnt on. But, also has had good plays where he catches up with speed and breaks up the pass.
- Doesn't show consistent ability to defeat cut blocks. Minor thing, but it matters especially because he likes to play fast - which cant get too fast.
- Final Thoughts: Devin Bush, fast and instinctual, is an elite LB prospect who checks every box and will be in serious consideration for Defensive Rookie of the Year.
- Grade: Top 20 pick
- Pro Comparison: Eric Kendricks
Listen to The Brew
Your go-to source for original Indianapolis Colts analysis, bringing you up to game-time updates on game-days. Join hosts Aaron Coffey, Alec Usleaman, Alex Griffin, Trace Vaughn & several others as they give their honest and informed thoughts and opinions on the Colts, the NFL and other popular topics.